In The Heart of Grand Marais
Late February or early March ~ Along the Gunflint Trail, a 55-mile road leading north out of Grand Marais.
Brrr. Look at all that snow. What do people do up here in the winter? That's a question we hear often. Our answer, come on up and find out!
A Lifetime of Winter in One Weekend
And there's one particlar weekend when you can really jump into winter and give it a try. The folks up the Gunflint Trail have put together winter Tracks, a fabulous weekend of outdoor winter fun. They've taken some of the classics, like sledding and cross-country skiing, and thrown in some activities that are a bit more unique to this area, like the trout derby and snowshoe obstacle course.
Classic Winter Fun
- Sledding - sleds, a hill, hot cocoa and a warm fire provided
- Snowmobile Tours - rent a snowmobile and ride the local trails, or take a guided tour
- Snowshoeing - learn about snowshoeing, then rent a pair and head for the woods or join a guided trek
- Cross Country Skiing - ski some of the 150 Km of local trails, rentals available. Try night skiing on lit trails or compete in a ski race
- Broomball - brooms and balls provided, give it a try on Round Lake
- Ice Skating - glide across the clean hard ice of Flour Lake
- Snow sculptures - tour the Trail to see the carved snow sculptures
Special Up North Winter Activities
- Snowshoe Obstacle Course - over, under, forwards and backwards, all in a pair of snowshoes
- Poker Run - hop on a snowmobile, hit the trails and pick up a card at each resort, high hand wins!
- Trout Derby - join the ice fishing contest on Trout Lake - fishing, food and a raffle
- Mongolian Firepot Buffet - snowshoe, ski or walk 1 Km to the Tall Pines Yurt for a delicious vegetable and meat fondue dinner
- Storyteller - listen to rollicking tales of winter
- Winter Tracks - learn how to identify those tracks in the snow
- Plein Air Art - artists choose their location and paint outdoors, an exhibit of the completed work is shown Saturday night
- Kids Crafts & Mini Olympics - winter-related crafts and an outdoor competition that includes snowshoeing and sledding
- Dinner & Dance - the perfect ending to a day of winter fun!