Grand Marais Harbor
People have been gathering around this particular piece of shoreline as long as people have been on the shore. Back in 1658, French explorer Sieur de Radisson, the first European explorer that made it this far north, came across a flourishing Ojibwe fishing camp. John Jacob Astor’s fur traders set up shop in the 1820s, adding a fish station the next decade. In 1871 this area, referred to as ‘double bay’ by the Ojibwe, was established as the Village of Grand Marais. Supply and mail boats began bringing folks up and by the 1920s the original Highway 61 was in place. As you descend the hill into Grand Marais from the west, your eyes are drawn to this amazingly picturesque little harbor. Now that you’re here, spend some time on the harbor. It’s not too big, so we suggest you view it from the east breakwall by the lighthouse, along the northern cobblestone beach and from the picnic and pavilion area in municipal campground. To get on the water, rent a kayak or sail the Hjørdis. For broader views, head to the roof top decks at Sydney’s Custard Shop [on the way to the breakwall] and at Gun Flint Tavern [2 1/2 blocks west on Wisconsin St.]. And for an all encompassing view, drive four miles north of Grand Marais, along the Gunflint Trail, to the Pincushion overlook.
Did You Know?
- Drury Lane Books, across the street from East Bay Suites, used to be known as the Pioneer House, home of one of the original founders of Grand Marais.
- East Bay Suites’ bones are that of the Lake Side Hotel, built in 1903 when Grand Marais was incorporated.
- The Cook County Historical Society Museum [around the corner on the way to Artist Point] is housed in the 1880s lighthouse keeper’s home.
Waterfall Season is Almost Here!
Amazing Lake Ice!
February Fun in Grand Marais
”Extremely nice staff and go out their way to make your stay welcome.”
- Matt N., on Facebook -
”Any time I'm over stressed or tired, I remember the all the joys of staying at East Bay Suites...”
- Mary Z., on TripAdvisor -
”Great place to stay and would definitely stay here again!!!”
- David S., on TripAdvisor -
”I highly, highly recommend this location for couples, families, even probably for a single person on retreat.”
- VBR, on TripAdvisor -
”We LOVE East Bay! ... the condos are great, the location is awesome, and the staff is amazing!”
- brattykid, on Trip Advisor -
”Fabulous Location and Views.”
- WildFan, on Trip Advisor -
”Awesome North Shore Experience. What a fabulous place, what a wonderful mini-vacation!”
- VBR, on Trip Advisor -
”Excellent Service. We've stayed here three times now and each time had excellent service.”
- Matt N, on Trip Advisor -
”Nice place, excellent views. This is our second stay at East Bay Suites and would recommend it to anyone.”
- Chris S., on Trip Advisor -